UND Pottery

University of North Dakota

Home

Centennial Celebration

Exhibition Gallery

Lost Former Students

Registration Form

UND Book/DVD

Pottery Collection

Topical Discussion

Contact



Cable Years

50/50: The Cable Years

Early Years

Teaching

Achievements

Conclusion

Our thanks to the Meyers Foundation, UND Department of Art and Design, UND Alumni Association and Foundations, Columbia Mall, the North Dakota Museum of Art, donors of pottery to the collection and the numerous staff members who made the centennial exhibition possible.

Banners

The banners in 50/50: The Cable Years/The Contemporary Years centennial exhibition were part of the 1933 Century of Progress Exposition in Chicago. Although somewhat faded by time, the University of North Dakota’s true prairie rose colors of pink and green can still be enjoyed.

Curtain Pulls and Medallions

In addition to the pottery made in the Ceramics Department, many souvenirs, medallions, paperweights, ashtrays, plaques, nut cups, and curtain pulls were created for special interest groups and cities. These curtain pulls are a few examples.

Large Wall Relief

This piece was first hung in the Memorial Union sometime in the early 1960’s. The location of the piece, time line of its appearance and strong stylistic similarities, suggest that the piece was made by Margaret Pachl.

Classroom Photo

Far right is Flora Cable Huckfield; center is Julia Mattson and far left is Margaret Kelly Cable. The others are unknown. The orderly arrangement of pottery on the shelves can be seen in a set of 1927 photographs, all of which are in the Chester Fritz Library, Special Collections. This photo was taken in the basement of Babcock, home of the Ceramics Department from 1910-1976.

Century of Progress Exposition

The Century of Progress Exposition in Chicago in 1933 provided another opportunity to advertise North Dakota pottery. One hundred and eighty-six pieces were shipped to Chicago for display in the North Dakota booth. She was asked to talk and demonstrate her pottery-making for ten days during the Exposition.

A unique feature of the display was a set of eleven mosaic panels descriptive of North Dakota industries and history. The panels were designed by students in the Art Department under the direction of Miss Isabel P. Snelgrove, and executed by the Ceramics Department.

At present nine of the panels are on display at Bonanzaville in West Fargo, North Dakota. The Potter at his wheel, is in the Department of Art and Design. The other, of cows and farm buildings, was stolen in 1976 and is unaccounted for. The subjects of the eleven panels are as follows:

The UND Ceramic exhibit at the Century of Progress was described by Professor William G. Whitford of the University of Chicago as “The outstanding exhibit of the United States pottery at the 1933 Centennial.”